Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I am the funny grammar friend

My college roommate Aliza* sends me articles about funny grammatical things because I have fairly idiosyncratic principles and tendencies. Top 2 (okay, of 2):
  1. An article on how AT&T apparently forces its employees to absurdly dangle gratuitous prepositions: “With whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with?” I have been known to have visceral reactions to gratuitous preposition dangling.
  2. An article on how President Obama should get his pronouns right, particularly in the case of "I" vs. "me" (e.g. "Michelle and me"). The article talks about the history of the grammatical correctness/incorrectness of this construct, why people might commit this grammatical error, and other grammatical errors Obama makes. There is a blog post by an almost-3-years-ago Jean about how even when labelling Facebook pictures, people should use "I" and "me" correctly.
* Also the fairy catmother of my cat, Smokebriel Bear.

No comments: